Skip to main content

Cherry Blossom Fantasies

Yesterday on my walk with Jack we came across these beautiful cherry blossom trees.


"The significance of the cherry blossom tree in Japanese culture goes back hundreds of years. In their country, the cherry blossom represents the fragility and the beauty of life. It’s a reminder that life is almost overwhelmingly beautiful but that it is also tragically short. When the cherry blossom trees bloom for a short time each year in brilliant force, they serve as a visual reminder of how precious and how precarious life is" (Cantu).

Kind of ironic that I noticed and appreciated them on my dad's birthday, but if you read my entry from yesterday, you already know that I don't really believe in coincidence. 

I've been thinking a lot lately about the idea of impermanence, and how "safety" and "control" are really just false states. Whatever I have in my life, I get to have today, perhaps this moment, but it might not be that way in five years. I might live in a different place, have a different job, or relationship (although I hope I get to keep Jeremy. Hey, Jer!). 

A lot of us make decisions out of fear of losing something or someone we get to enjoy right now; we're afraid we won't have it forever. But I think it's useful to try to understand that that is never promised to begin with. Everything is on loan, and impermanent. That's why so many wellness, mindful, and spiritual people stress the importance of living in the present moment, and cultivating feeling grateful, because right now is the only guaranteed moment to enjoy any of it.
 

  When I was listening to the Happier Podcast, Liz said someone once gave her the advice, "Don't treat a gift like a burden." I think about this quote a lot when I start getting into downward spiral of feeling whiny or irritated by something that I really should be grateful about. "Ugh, I have to pay my mortgage tomorrow," could really be, "Wow, how lucky am I that I own my own place and have money in the bank that I get to pay my mortgage tomorrow." Taking things for granted is not a new concept, but I'm working on that.

My job is another one of those burdens gifts that I have in my life. Yesterday was Teacher Appreciation, and my creative awesome amazing Jeremy gave me this adorable card, cactus, and stress ball. He said that the cactus "Looked the healthiest of them all. They all looked kind of wilted," and I told him that that accurately describes teachers this time of year, haha. There is one that looks healthy in the bunch, and the rest are withered and ready for the year to be over! I get to enjoy the gift of teaching for another 6 weeks...bless any other teachers out there reading this.

When school is over today, I think I'll go back to the cherry blossom trees. One day soon I'll walk by and they'll all be gone, but I'm hopeful I'll be loaned another opportunity to see them next year.

-Cara

Comments

Unknown said…
Another amazing blog post ❤

Popular posts from this blog

PS- I think I'll eventually think of a more creative title for this page. Although Jalisa vehemently disagrees.

An Antoine and Cara Fiasco

Antoine and I tried making a poem this summer back and forth over facebook; here's what I can recover of it. I'll use this as a starting point, add on to it! and he emerged from the shadows, begging please as she walked away into the hollow petal of a nightfall it's ok only one of us died here tonight and I'll be reborn from the ashes of your leftover deceit stab my heart with your heel, just to be stuck on you The ground breaks my fall as you plummet with vindication This is love?

Go G-Dawg. It's Your Birthday.

Gavin is one of the first friends I made in college. He was my rock freshman year. We met moving in all our stuff into A-complex because I lived on the 4th floor, and his 1st floor apartment had a back door into the building that we   demanded very politely asked if we could use because it was pouring rain. His apartment also had AC, which I kind of hated him for, but fully took advantage! We may have had our squabbles, but he has a great heart, and an immense tolerance for people. He accepts all my quirks, and has realized that he can't bring any more hard liquor to my birthdays (I see you, Moonshine and Jack Daniels!). In the time I've known him, I don't think he's ever missed my birthday, and there were a few years there where he really saved it from being a terrible memory. He always makes the effort for people he cares about, and is a great listener. Plus, we like to talk about ghosts, so that's always cool :) So here's to you, Gavin. Happy birthday