Skip to main content

My May Social Media Break


When I was in college I used to intentionally leave my phone in my dorm a few nights a week to go "off grid" and immerse myself with my friends. I refused to buy a smartphone until I graduated, and even then I was reluctant, because "I have a Nook, and an iPod and a computer, why do I need all that in my phone?" I'd say, as I slung my 40lb bag on my shoulder.

Katy Bowman, my favorite guru on movement, and movement ecology, speaks to the idea that in "outsourcing" many of the things we do every day, we've lost intentionality, and the movements associated with those intentions. One example would be the invention of backup cameras in cars (except for mine, I'm still rocking that 2005 model). Before, you had to turn your head over your shoulder, look back, and scan the area. Now, you just need to look down at a screen. The movements in our cars are different than they used to be, and perhaps less involved. When I had a separate e-reader, music device, phone, and computer, all of those activities were separate, and it took a specific and focused intention for me to use any one of them. Now that they all exist in one device, I've scattered my intentions, and each becomes dulled in a way when you can talk on the phone with someone while simultaneously checking e-mail or FaceBook on the same device. Not to say this never happened when these devices were separate, but it's very easy when everything is in the same small rectangle.

May 10-31 I will be taking a social media hiatus from FaceBook, Instagram, and Snapchat. I don't feel addicted to my phone, or someone who is constantly on it in the company of other people, but it's come to a point where it's just something mindless to do, a "numbing out" so-to-speak, and if you read my New Year entry from January, you understand that being numb is something I decided to stop doing. My hours are becoming less intentional, and more habitual, which would be okay with me if my habits were more intentional lol. I've "outsourced" my free time, and it's time to take it back.

I want to read news on an actual paper, or news site, and the 100 magazines I have piled up in my kitchen. I want to print photos, and display them. I want to hold the actual pages of a book (or Kindle), and read thoughtful articles. I want to make a recipe out of an actual recipe book, of which I have many. I want to write more on my blog(s), and spend the time actually talking about what's going on, rather than posting something quick that will pop up a year from now as a fleeting memory.

Here's to the next three weeks. We'll see how this goes!

-Cara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PS- I think I'll eventually think of a more creative title for this page. Although Jalisa vehemently disagrees.

An Antoine and Cara Fiasco

Antoine and I tried making a poem this summer back and forth over facebook; here's what I can recover of it. I'll use this as a starting point, add on to it! and he emerged from the shadows, begging please as she walked away into the hollow petal of a nightfall it's ok only one of us died here tonight and I'll be reborn from the ashes of your leftover deceit stab my heart with your heel, just to be stuck on you The ground breaks my fall as you plummet with vindication This is love?

Go G-Dawg. It's Your Birthday.

Gavin is one of the first friends I made in college. He was my rock freshman year. We met moving in all our stuff into A-complex because I lived on the 4th floor, and his 1st floor apartment had a back door into the building that we   demanded very politely asked if we could use because it was pouring rain. His apartment also had AC, which I kind of hated him for, but fully took advantage! We may have had our squabbles, but he has a great heart, and an immense tolerance for people. He accepts all my quirks, and has realized that he can't bring any more hard liquor to my birthdays (I see you, Moonshine and Jack Daniels!). In the time I've known him, I don't think he's ever missed my birthday, and there were a few years there where he really saved it from being a terrible memory. He always makes the effort for people he cares about, and is a great listener. Plus, we like to talk about ghosts, so that's always cool :) So here's to you, Gavin. Happy birthday