Skip to main content

No Ideas But In Things

Christine sits sinking into the left corner of the olive green couch.
She handles the latest sociological book or Time magazine over her
neatly folded legs.
Tortoiseshell glasses slide lower down her nose; her glass of wine sweats in her right hand.

Christine is upstairs, mending the bed so the sheets will be cold when she retreats for sleep.
Her head lulls into her chest, a slight snoring ensues.

I crawl in the space beside her, flip through the channels on low.
My heart skips quickly when she grasps my hand and holds it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mondays with The General: Going with What You've Got

By nature, horses are unpredictable. Even so-called "bomb proof" horses have those moments where something spooks them, and you find yourself clinging to a galloping neck down a beach, hoping your horse doesn't jump the metal barrier onto a highway (see my 10th birthday for an example). When I was a beginner, I wanted stability. I barely had any riding muscles, and I hadn't been riding long enough to know all the things that can happen when you enter into a riding relationship with a horse. As I got older, and braver, I had a lot more experience, and craved those green horses, unpredictability, and the thrill of seeing what could happen taking a novice horse over a jump that was way too big. I rode consistently through college, and never imagined it wouldn't be a focus of my life, never mind that I would take any "time off." But, adulting happens, and something I once spent every waking moment thinking about suddenly became a memory. I had a few y...