Skip to main content

My May Social Media Break


When I was in college I used to intentionally leave my phone in my dorm a few nights a week to go "off grid" and immerse myself with my friends. I refused to buy a smartphone until I graduated, and even then I was reluctant, because "I have a Nook, and an iPod and a computer, why do I need all that in my phone?" I'd say, as I slung my 40lb bag on my shoulder.

Katy Bowman, my favorite guru on movement, and movement ecology, speaks to the idea that in "outsourcing" many of the things we do every day, we've lost intentionality, and the movements associated with those intentions. One example would be the invention of backup cameras in cars (except for mine, I'm still rocking that 2005 model). Before, you had to turn your head over your shoulder, look back, and scan the area. Now, you just need to look down at a screen. The movements in our cars are different than they used to be, and perhaps less involved. When I had a separate e-reader, music device, phone, and computer, all of those activities were separate, and it took a specific and focused intention for me to use any one of them. Now that they all exist in one device, I've scattered my intentions, and each becomes dulled in a way when you can talk on the phone with someone while simultaneously checking e-mail or FaceBook on the same device. Not to say this never happened when these devices were separate, but it's very easy when everything is in the same small rectangle.

May 10-31 I will be taking a social media hiatus from FaceBook, Instagram, and Snapchat. I don't feel addicted to my phone, or someone who is constantly on it in the company of other people, but it's come to a point where it's just something mindless to do, a "numbing out" so-to-speak, and if you read my New Year entry from January, you understand that being numb is something I decided to stop doing. My hours are becoming less intentional, and more habitual, which would be okay with me if my habits were more intentional lol. I've "outsourced" my free time, and it's time to take it back.

I want to read news on an actual paper, or news site, and the 100 magazines I have piled up in my kitchen. I want to print photos, and display them. I want to hold the actual pages of a book (or Kindle), and read thoughtful articles. I want to make a recipe out of an actual recipe book, of which I have many. I want to write more on my blog(s), and spend the time actually talking about what's going on, rather than posting something quick that will pop up a year from now as a fleeting memory.

Here's to the next three weeks. We'll see how this goes!

-Cara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mondays with The General: Going with What You've Got

By nature, horses are unpredictable. Even so-called "bomb proof" horses have those moments where something spooks them, and you find yourself clinging to a galloping neck down a beach, hoping your horse doesn't jump the metal barrier onto a highway (see my 10th birthday for an example). When I was a beginner, I wanted stability. I barely had any riding muscles, and I hadn't been riding long enough to know all the things that can happen when you enter into a riding relationship with a horse. As I got older, and braver, I had a lot more experience, and craved those green horses, unpredictability, and the thrill of seeing what could happen taking a novice horse over a jump that was way too big. I rode consistently through college, and never imagined it wouldn't be a focus of my life, never mind that I would take any "time off." But, adulting happens, and something I once spent every waking moment thinking about suddenly became a memory. I had a few y...