Skip to main content

A Return from Orange to Blue

My weakness returns to this place
that my head knows better not to
where acting “orange” wasn’t a fantasy
and I could skip class to get high
and fuck our ideas into creativity.

Where I sat on a kitchen counter
and you gave me a margarita glass
full of water and I wasn’t afraid
when our skin touched.

It wants to sit in the grass with those red hills
that looked like mountains
and pictures of our happiness,
but I know better.

I know those things don’t make up a life.
They only make up a pleasure that longs to be refilled
fuck after fuck and bowl after glass.

I can’t return to that place of infatuation,
grasping whatever makes me smile
because now I know;

it began to kill me slowly
and it was this far
from being pleasurable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mondays with The General: Going with What You've Got

By nature, horses are unpredictable. Even so-called "bomb proof" horses have those moments where something spooks them, and you find yourself clinging to a galloping neck down a beach, hoping your horse doesn't jump the metal barrier onto a highway (see my 10th birthday for an example). When I was a beginner, I wanted stability. I barely had any riding muscles, and I hadn't been riding long enough to know all the things that can happen when you enter into a riding relationship with a horse. As I got older, and braver, I had a lot more experience, and craved those green horses, unpredictability, and the thrill of seeing what could happen taking a novice horse over a jump that was way too big. I rode consistently through college, and never imagined it wouldn't be a focus of my life, never mind that I would take any "time off." But, adulting happens, and something I once spent every waking moment thinking about suddenly became a memory. I had a few y...