Skip to main content

Red Wine

I rolled the bottle over with my toe,
small chunks of sand tossed about inside

It looked recent, maybe from the
night before.
I wondered if they were legal or just
summer kids trying to find their own nook
on this tiny island.

There were rocks everywhere. Rocks
and cliffs and dirty sand, not the postcard
you find on main street.

But he was fascinated by it all. He had seven
hundred photos from the trip, obsessed
with getting the perfect angle and light.

I wonder if he took a picture of my mother,
more beautiful than ever,
sitting on the cliffs alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mondays with The General: Going with What You've Got

By nature, horses are unpredictable. Even so-called "bomb proof" horses have those moments where something spooks them, and you find yourself clinging to a galloping neck down a beach, hoping your horse doesn't jump the metal barrier onto a highway (see my 10th birthday for an example). When I was a beginner, I wanted stability. I barely had any riding muscles, and I hadn't been riding long enough to know all the things that can happen when you enter into a riding relationship with a horse. As I got older, and braver, I had a lot more experience, and craved those green horses, unpredictability, and the thrill of seeing what could happen taking a novice horse over a jump that was way too big. I rode consistently through college, and never imagined it wouldn't be a focus of my life, never mind that I would take any "time off." But, adulting happens, and something I once spent every waking moment thinking about suddenly became a memory. I had a few y...

Planting on a Budget

I don't know about you, but in year's past I've literally spent hundreds of dollars on plants and flowers that, let's face it, I usually end up killing before their time. My high school has a botany class that plants in the greenhouse every year, and they sell wreaths during the holidays, and herbs and flowers in the spring. This year I took advantage of both events, and I was really impressed by them! Not only are their plants amazing, but so are the prices. I was able to plant my entire upper deck yesterday for $35. $35!!!! I'm officially converted. I love having flowers on the deck, and this year was super affordable. If you like to plant, I encourage you to find a local school that has a botany program. You get to support local programs, and plant on the cheap. Win-win. I think it turned out pretty nice! Plus, I got to sip on some wine while playing with dirt and listening to a podcast. A nice way to spend the afternoon.      I learned that t...