Skip to main content

Planting on a Budget

I don't know about you, but in year's past I've literally spent hundreds of dollars on plants and flowers that, let's face it, I usually end up killing before their time. My high school has a botany class that plants in the greenhouse every year, and they sell wreaths during the holidays, and herbs and flowers in the spring.

This year I took advantage of both events, and I was really impressed by them! Not only are their plants amazing, but so are the prices. I was able to plant my entire upper deck yesterday for $35.

$35!!!!

I'm officially converted. I love having flowers on the deck, and this year was super affordable. If you like to plant, I encourage you to find a local school that has a botany program. You get to support local programs, and plant on the cheap. Win-win.

I think it turned out pretty nice! Plus, I got to sip on some wine while playing with dirt and listening to a podcast. A nice way to spend the afternoon.

 


 

 I learned that those blue-purple flowers are called Lobelias, and they're my new favorite thing. Besides the fact that this gardening site says, "Once established, the lobelia plant requires little maintenance," so now I love them even more.





(They're in there, too.)

Jack was tired from all the planting...because he helped so much...


-Cara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mondays with The General: Going with What You've Got

By nature, horses are unpredictable. Even so-called "bomb proof" horses have those moments where something spooks them, and you find yourself clinging to a galloping neck down a beach, hoping your horse doesn't jump the metal barrier onto a highway (see my 10th birthday for an example). When I was a beginner, I wanted stability. I barely had any riding muscles, and I hadn't been riding long enough to know all the things that can happen when you enter into a riding relationship with a horse. As I got older, and braver, I had a lot more experience, and craved those green horses, unpredictability, and the thrill of seeing what could happen taking a novice horse over a jump that was way too big. I rode consistently through college, and never imagined it wouldn't be a focus of my life, never mind that I would take any "time off." But, adulting happens, and something I once spent every waking moment thinking about suddenly became a memory. I had a few y...